Monday, March 10, 2014

Well isn't that nice

As I continue reading I did a tone analysis of a passage out of the fifth and sixth parts.

“I pull her to the ground and roll on top of her to cover her, shield her. Quiet, I say again, my face is wet, sweat or tears, I feel calm and floating, as if I'm no longer in my body; close to my eyes there's a leaf, red, turned early, I can see every bright vein. It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I ease off, I don't want to smother her, instead I curl myself around her, keeping my hand over her mouth. There's breath and the knocking of my heart, like pounding, at the door of a house at night, where you thought you would be safe. It's all right, I'm here, I say, whisper, Please be quiet, but how can she? She's too young, it's too late, we come apart, my arms are held, and the edges go dark and nothing is left but a little window, a very little window, like the wrong end of a telescope, like the window on a Christmas card, an old one, night and ice outside, and within a candle, a shining tree, a family, I can hear the bells even, sleigh bells, from the radio, old music, but through this window I can see, small but very clear, I can see her, going away from me, through the trees which are already turning, red and yellow, holding out her arms to me, being carried away.”
-          Chapter 13

Atwood’s use of tone in this paragraph makes the reader feel for the characters, as well as start to question this society that the characters are living in. In this passage a feeling of protection and comfort soon change to fear and dislocation. They family is being torn apart, and there is nothing they can do to stop it from happening. This passage is important to the whole of the book because it gives Offred characteristics to show that she is not just there to be there, she was at first forced into this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment